Privacy & Cookies Policy
The International Owl Society is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
The International Owl Society may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from 01 April 2014.
What we collect
We may collect the following information:
What we do with the information we gather
- name and business name
- contact information including email and home address and telphone number (when registering/joining the Society).
- other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping.
- Provide you with additional information about the services on our website.
- We may use the information to improve the services on our website, where applicable.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
Our Websites Secure Server
Along with our new website design, we have added a Secure Server / Security Certificate to our website. This means that certain areas throughout our website, in particular pages requiring details to be submitted via online forms, are processed via a Secure Server - which means that any details that use the Secure Server are sent securely and are encrypted.
You will notice what pages throughout our website are processed via our Secure Server by the Security Padlock icon on your browser, which is generally located next to your browsers address bar. A customised Security Padlock icon will also be displayed within the page itself. The web address for our website, in your browsers address bar, will also begin with the prefix https instead of the 'basic' http prefix.
Examples of pages and sections of our website that are currently 'processed' via our Secure Server are:
If you would like to know more about how a Secure Server / Security Certificate works (also known as an SSL or Transport Layer Security), please visit this page compiled on WikiPedia , or contact our Webmaster by clicking here.
- Join the IOS
- Contact the IOS
- Contact members of the IOS Council
- Contact the IOS Webmaster
- IOS Guestbook
- Members Only Area
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer's hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about webpage traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
- We use Google Analytics which simply collects data about statistics regarding to how many visitors are viewing our website, how many hits each page throughout the site receives etc.
- To verify that you have chosen to contact us via our Online Contact Form on our Contact Us and Webmaster pages, and submitting a comment on our Guestbook etc. The Cookie we use for these forms helps prevent SPAM 'bots, spiders' etc. from sending us unwanted e-mail requests.
- To verify that you have chosen to Join/Register with the IOS. Our Anti-Spam feature on the registration form prohibits SPAM bots/spiders etc. from submitting SPAM from the online registration form.
- To login to the The International Owl Society • Members Area - only subscribed members of The International Owl Society have access to the Members Area, so if you are not a current member of The International Owl Society, the Cookie we use for our login system does not apply to you.
- To login to the International Owl Society's Forum, which is only available to members of the IOS.
- The Cookies Notification Bar, displayed on our homepage has it's own cookie assigned to it, as we have made the Cookies Notification Bar only display once per day (24 hours) so you do not constantly see the message every time you view the homepage upon each ("unique") visit to our website in any given 24 hour period.
- Just like on the homepage, this page (Privacy & Cookies Policy), a Cookies Notification Bar is displayed to ask you to view this section in regards to Cookies. We have also assigned a cookie to this pages Cookies Notification Bar to only display once per day (24 hours) so again, you are not constantly seeing the message every time you view the Privacy & Cookies Policy page upon each ("unique") visit to our website in any given 24 hour period.
- The IOS Members Forum Notification Popup Message is also assigned its own cookie, which is set so that it is only displayed once per day (24 hours) so, like the Cookies Notification Bar, you do not constantly see the popup every time you view the homepage upon each ("unique") visit to our website in any given 24 hour period.
If you would like further information regarding Google Analytics, please direct here: http://support.google.com/googleanalytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=55591
By using our website, you agree to allow Cookies from our website. No personal details relating to you are ever stored via Cookies on our website. If you would like to disable Cookies, please direct here for instructions on how to control your Cookies depending upon the browser you use, but please bare in mind that our website requires the use of unobtrusive Cookies for statistical, spam prevention and in areas such as the Members Only Area & IOS Members Forum - for login/security reasons only.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement and cookies policy applicable to the third party website in question.
Controlling your personal information
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. A small administration fee may be payable. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to The International Owl Society. Our address can be found on our contact us page.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please email us by directing here or write to as soon as possible at the address below. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
The International Owl Society will never pass on any information we hold about you to any third party, unless required to by law.